Thursday

TOS Crew Review: WORLD Writing Program

OK, folks,
let me up front and honest with y'all
before I start this review...

When I was selected to review this product,
I knew that it was geared towards
middle school level students,
of which I have none currently
residing in my home.

BUT,
I was hoping to find a way to make
the program work for my 4th grader.

I couldn't.

So,
my review will be one of a more
informative nature.

I bet others of you out there have kiddos
who are at an elementary level and could 
use this program,
but it just wasn't a good fit for my family-
AT THE MOMENT...

(That doesn't mean we won't be using it
when the kiddos are older!)  ;0)

Now,
on with the review...

************************************


is a writing curriculum
for middle school students
that encourages them 

"...to think and make choices,
not just follow a formula.
We don't want to tell students always to combine sentences
[or] start a new paragraph after five sentences." 

(-Marvin Olasky, World Magazine,
2-11-2012)

By using the resources of...






...World Magazine authors,
students are able to learn how to write
with the help of professional reporters.



The curriculum contains the follow key elements:

  • reading and critical thinking that develop discernment
  • contemporary subjects and professional guidance to pique interest
  • flexible exercises to build confidence and skill for using today's new media
  • a thoughtful and meaningful Christian worldview 
**********************************************

I REALLY like that the curriculum begins with a focus
on READING-
if you do not read well, I personally
think it would be very difficult
to write well.

(You can click HERE to see what other topics
are covered in this writing curriculum.)

*****************************************
 
Now, often when a curriculum reaches
tougher subjects like
"topic sentences,"
it can often teach the subject matter 
in a rather boring way.

Write with World
handles subjects like this
in a MUCH MORE interesting fashion.

They begin the capsule (lesson) entitled
"Topic Sentences Spark Questions"
with the following sentence:

"While I strolled along the boardwalk on New Year's Eve,
I spied two dozen monkeys catapult into a freighter
bound for Antarctica,
so I hurled myself aboard as well."

If THAT sentence doesn't catch a
middle school student's attention,
then I don't know what else will... ;0)

***************************************

 The curriculum KEEPS kiddos' attentions
by having them use
their own experiences, pictures, photos, etc.
in their writing assignments.

At other times,
the curriculum suggests using
different articles from
World Magazine in writing assignments,
but it is JUST as easy to pull
from other magazines/newspaper you already own-
therefore a subscription to
World Magazine in NOT a requirement
for this curriculum.

**************************************

I appreciate the depth that was put into this curriculum,
and how it enables kiddos to become better
writers, readers, AND thinkers...

*************************************

This curriculum is reusable,
since all the writing is done in
a journal of your choosing,
and it comes with 
one student book and a teacher's manual.

for
$95 for one year's worth of lessons
or
 $165 for two year's worth of lessons.

*************************************

Check out more TOS Crew reviews
of this curriculum
by clicking HERE...

***********************************

Disclaimer:
I was given this curriculum free in exchange
for my open and honest review.
I was not compensated in any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment