Thursday

Kids in the Kitchen: Banana Bread Muffins

We adore my mother-in-law's
"Nana Bread,"
so when I saw came across a recipe for
"Banana Bread Muffins,"
I knew we had to give it a go...

(This recipe was good for teaching the kiddos
multiplying measurement skills
since we doubled the recipe.)
While preheating your oven to 400 degrees, gather up your ingredients:

(I have already doubled the ingredient amounts for you-
when I did this with my kiddos, I had Jungle Girl figure out the modified amounts
as we put the muffins together.)

3 cups of all-purpose flour
2 cups of chopped walnuts
(Optional- we aren't crazy about nuts in our banana bread,
so we didn't put the nuts in here either.)
1 cup of toasted wheat germ
1 cup of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 ripe mashed bananas
(I typically blend my bananas and freeze them
in individual baggies. Then I grab the amount of baggies I need
and thaw them when I'm ready to bake.)
1 and 1/2 cups of milk
10 tablespoons of melted butter
2 eggs
Cinnamon sugar

Measure and pour the first eight ingredients
into your big mixing bowl...
(Jungle Girl said that the wheat germ
looked like her crickets' food!)
Ooooo- our fav-
brown sugar!







Stir all the dry ingredients together,
and then add the rest of the wet ingredients...
...but mix it JUST until all the ingredients are just wet.

If you mix it too much, the muffins won't bake correctly-
something to do with "tunnels"...
Get your prepared muffin tins...

(Prepare them by placing paper liners in the tins
and spraying the liners with cooking spray.)
Using an ice cream scooper,
fill the paper liners evenly with batter...
Then, sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the muffins...
Now you're ready to bake!

Put them in the oven for about 20 minutes, cool, and...
...you've got a breakfast treat anyone would go "bananas" over!

Scoot on over to Kids in the Kitchen and check out
what other fabulous creations are being baked in the oven!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you visited today! My sister and I had the same Wonder Woman outfit that you modeled so nicely.

    These sound yummy...and healthy! I like the secret wheat germ, but don't tell my hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh holy cow does that ever look yum! I always love your pictures of the kids ... I dont know her name yet but the cute little one w glasses always makes me smile with her "faces" reminds me of Lu!

    ReplyDelete