Monday

Expecting Easter: Scent of Mary's Perfume

Here is a picture collage
of our front porch display
for this Spring:
We have our
as well as a Spring Cactus I embellished
with a
"He has Risen!" tag.

But I would like to draw you attention
to the simple wreath on the back
of the chair.
On it is a wooden cross I decorated
during one of our
Expecting Easter lessons.

For our homeschool Expecting Easter lessons this year,
I am using...
by
Amanda White.

This devotional is very family friendly,
with tons of great hands-on ideas
to bring Easter alive for your kiddos.

Amanda uses the five senses
to experience the Easter story.

We are using this ebook as the base of our lessons,
but I have definitely been "tweaking" the activities
to fit our family...

***

This lesson used the sense of smell
in conjunction with
John 12:1-8.

Jesus Anointed at Bethany

Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany,
where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead.
Here a dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served,
while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him.
Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume;
she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair.
And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot,
who was later to betray him, objected,
“Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor?
It was worth a year’s wages.” 
He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief;
as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.
“Leave her alone,” Jesus replied.
“It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial.
You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me.”
After reading the passage
and discussing it with the kiddos...
...I passed around several of my favorite
for the kiddos to smell.
The plan was for them to decorate a wooden cross
from the craft store
with Modge Podge and pieces of scrapbook paper,
and then add some of the drops of oil
to the cross.

That way the smell would remind them
of this Bible story.
But my kiddos olfactory senses are weird.  
They preferred the smell of the glue,
so I just let them use the glue
as their "smelly" reminder...








***

Up next on Expecting Easter:
Seeing Like a Servant

2 comments:

  1. I might have to give in and buy it next year.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I love that they liked the smell of glue best!

    ReplyDelete